Thursday, December 17, 2009

Recycled Post: Make Your Own Frozen Waffles

Sometimes a girl just needs to leave her excess. When this blog temporarily becomes my excess, I rely on some of my favorite past posts to save the day - sort of recycling the good stuff. If you caught it the first time around, please let us know if you tried it and it worked for you!



My daughter, Alex, has always been a very picky eater. Whenever she likes something, I always try to make it myself so that I can limit the amount of chemicals and preservatives that she consumes. Of course, it is good for all of us to do that, but she eats so little, that I tend to focus first on foods for her.

Luckily, everyone in our house likes waffles! I make this big double batch, make them all and freeze them to use later. Once frozen, you make them just like store bought frozen waffles - toast and serve. I make the batter either the morning that I make the waffles, or if I know that I will be in a rush, I make up the batter the night before and put it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, I take it out, give it a quick stir and get started!

I have a waffle maker from Williams-Sonoma, but waffle makers are the kind of thing many people buy with good intentions but never really use, so you can pick them up inexpensively at garage sales or thrift stores. I would check there first - save money, save something from hitting the landfill, all is good. My waffle maker makes one large waffle that is sectioned into five smaller sections - I like that because I can break off one or two sections for the smaller kids.

The first time you use the waffle maker, you will need to season it. This just involves wiping the surface with cooking oil on a paper towel and letting it heat up. After that, it should be good to go, but if the waffles stick, just repeat the oil for a while until the waffles no longer stick.

To make the waffles, heat the waffle maker until it indicates that it is ready (usually a light goes on or it makes a sound). Laddle the batter onto the maker, just barely filling the bottom as it will expand as it heats. Wait for small bubbles to appear on the surface, then close the lid and wait for the signal that the waffles are done. I find it works to use a fork to pick up the edge of the waffle to remove it.

Once the waffles come out of the waffle maker, I put them on a cooling rack to cool. I can fit three waffles on my rack, so by the time I put the third one on, the first one is cool and I can wrap it in plastic wrap and move all the waffles up on the rack to make room for the next waffle. If you wrap them up while they are hot, the steam will make them mushy, so be sure to cool them.

I wrap each one individually so that they don't stick together. You'll want to put all the wrapped waffles into a airtight container, a freezer safe zipper bag or wrap them in foil, to help prevent freezer burn.

Basic Waffle Recipe:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup cooking oil

Enjoy!

Don't miss reading about when I hit waffle *nerd*vana by reusing the bags from inside cereal boxes when freezing the waffles!

What works sorts of items do you like to freeze ahead for breakfast?



This post participates in both the Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge and Ultimate Recipe Swap @ Life As Mom (because you can never have too many recipes!!)

4 comments:

Lori S. said...

The first time you posted this, I started saving my cereal bags for separating quesadillas and breads when freezing. Great idea! For whatever reason my waffles don't stick together when frozen, so I don't need them for that. For weekday breakfasts, I freeze whatever waffles, pancakes, or muffins we have leftover from our big weekend breakfasts.

Nancy said...

I had not seen this one before Michelle, thanks for recycling! I'm going to look at the thriftstores for one so I can freeze ahead for my husband to take to work with him and when we don't want to cook (breakfast for dinner!).

Thanks again, I learn so much from your posts!

thebargainjunkie said...

Waffle irons are among the many costly appliances that can be picked up on the cheap at yard sales. I bought two George Foreman grills for two bucks each. We then invited a gaggle of visiting Danish relatives over for a panini party. Everyone selected their own combo of cold cuts, cheese, veggies, and dressings for a custom-made grilled sandwich. Everyone loved it - especially the little kids. And I didn't have to do any cooking!

Roan said...

I freeze muffins. I need to freeze waffles and stop buying the frozen ones, but my waffle maker is a Belgian one...maybe I could separate them into fouths...I think I will try that. I will have to triple the recipe that I use....double makes enough for us for one meal. I think I will try your recipe.
Thanks for the idea!